"Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life."                   Proverbs 13:12

Saturday, November 3, 2007



This morning we got the kids haircuts.  Each one was so good in the chair.

I posted more videos on You Tube.

Answering ?'s:
Tia Chito - Without going into details, the Colombian government said the kid's biological parents were not good parents.  We believe God had Rena and I in mind when He created these beautiful children.  We are the ones who get the blessing.
Ellie - Rena does well with speaking to the kids but there is still alot we don't understand.  We keep the Spanish dictionary handy.  My computer also has a cool widget where you just type the sentence in in English and it immediately translates it to Spanish.  The dialect is mostly the same as Mexican Spanish.
Sherrie - We were told to pack light.  We packed too light.  We have purchased some clothes for ourselves down here.  They told us not to where jewelry or watches.  I should have brought a watch.  I can't stand having to reach in my pocket to look at my cell phone.  I am mucho lazy sometimes.  I personally would be lost without my laptop (Mac) and the Internet.  I wish we would have brought more videos.  The kids love anything (even in English).   
Passing time is no problem.  Between eating, naps/sleeping at night, playing, sightseeing and doing adoption paperwork the time goes quickly.
Everything is mostly comparably priced.  Junk food is cheaper.  Clothes are about the same.   Going out to eat is a little cheaper.  Today's haircuts were $6 as was Rena's French manicure...that's cheap!
The coffee here is perfect for me.  They make it strong at El Refugio.  Juan Valdez Cafe is just like our Starbucks/Caribou Coffee(Caribou is the best - Turtle Mocha).
Katie - Regarding attachment...I feel we are strongly bonded already.  I believe all the prayer going up has been answered.  Every day feels more and more like we have been together forever.
The Woods - Alex is still trying to find out who he is.  Is he the leader of his siblings or is he the follower of his new parents?  Sebastian is a cuddle bug.  He hates letting go of us at bedtime and he climbs in bed first thing in the morning to love on us.  Erika has fits all the time.  She tests us to see if we mean business.  Even though she has turned 3, developmentally  I think she is in the terrible 2 stage.  Luisa is the only one who is not extremely active.  She is more phlegmatic.  The other 3 are sanguine in nature.  All 4 get very, very fidgety 15 minutes before thet go to sleep.  They don't go down voluntarily.  We have to make them lay down and stay still/quiet.  They all have dreams all night long.  They laugh/cry in their sleep.
The Colombians spoil their kids.  They give them anything they want and expect us to do the same.  We don't agree.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw..... yes I believe so too. They're so lucky to hav you guys as parents. It's so cool... my little cousin Julieta (age 4) saw Erika's little video and she was absolutely ECSTATIC!!!! She kept telling me "Chito, Yo quiero que ella venga a mi casa! Si Chito? Si Chito?"

I had the biggest trouble telling her that they were like thousands of miles away! I just told her that they are in a place like Mexico except more far. I don't know how much she understood but yea. She said she'd wait for them to come.

But anyways... they have a new and anxious playmate... by the way, you never told me when their b-days are.... no hurry.

Just sayin in case you forgot. Do the kids like music? I found that dancing to music (any kind) with the child in your arms got my cousins and bro and sis to sleep quite quickly.

*Just a thought.
Any ways... lots of love, La Tia Chito!

Muchos besos!

Wendi and Benjamin Wood said...

Wow! Didn't expect ya to get to all those ?S in one post!!! You the Man! (Smiles!)

Sounds like you are having lots of fun! And what a steal on the manicure! Rena, you must post where you got it for other passing moms...

And, concerning the terrible two stage; I personally think it was mislabeled; it really should be the Terrible Threes! Diego just turned three, and I believe it was instinctive-the tantrums almost daily when cannot have what he wants...funny, it wasn't like that the first 3 months we had him???

Again, love the posts, keep 'em coming...God bless!

(PS, Have you heard from Jennifer B? Has she made it to Bogota, yet?)

Wendi

Anonymous said...

Nate-
From a loving mom of three and a babysitter of many over the years its called
"Terrible twos and Horrible threes!"
My advice is stay firm and loving. It will pass and she will learn.
Message from a Turner Mom.

Staci Wood said...

I am so glad that you all are having such a great time. We are so excited that the time is getting closer for us to meet them. I have only seen webcam but we can't wait to hug them.

Everyone at Turner is watching your blog. I hear about it all the time. Sometimes before I have had a chance to look at it for the day. It is so amazing the amount of love that is pouring out of this little community for you all. You are truly LOVED here for sure.

Blake prays for you all every night in his prayers it is so cute. He said how many more day's till they come home. he is wanting to do a count down.

I hope that everyone is just as excited about meeting us as we are to meet them. Hope to see you all very soon.

Love you lots,
Staci and Family

Jer Scofield said...

Love the videos. That looks like an awesome swing. I especially loved the one vid with Nate pushing the boys and them both yelling me papi me papi. That looks so fun, what a dad time.

Sherri said...

Thanks for the answers to the questions! Now I have an excuse to pack more clothes. I also agree with Wendi, definitely the terrible threes. I had my son from birth and it was three that was the most trying, so she's not behind at all in that :). It's good to see you keeping busy. And fun getting to know you both better and the kids. God bless your Sunday!

Sherri

Anonymous said...

Thanks for answering so many questions. Lauren and I look at the blog everyday. We love the videos too. When Phil comes home she makes him watch the videos. Usually, we end up watching every video again. My nephew came over and she showed him all the pictures and told your whole story. It was so cute. She told what you did everyday with each set of pictures.

How's the potty training? Are you still buying diapers?

Do the kids eat any 'American' food? About all Lauren eats is pb&j, hot dogs, pizza and of course mac and cheese. Are they the same way?

Is there any kind of routine? Do they go down for naps well? What's bedtime like? Have you got the tag teaming worked out? With just two kids, Phil and I share efforts and trade off quite a bit.

Rena - I'm feeling for you since Nate posted the video of Erika falling. About two days before that, Tommy tossed himself backwards in his Bumpo and fell off the bar top. He has a bump and a swollen, black eye. I've had to hide the camera from Phil because he wants me to make a scrapbook page. Truth is I probably would if Phil would have been the one watching Tommy but no way since it was me!

I remember from human growth and development that three is the most active time of our lives. The proffessor said every year after three we slow down a little. I don't know if it's true but I agree with everyone else - three's are more challenging than twos.

Thanks for letting us in on your story. We are eagerly waiting for you to come home. As always, your in our prayers.

Glenda - GRR